„Our motivation is to alleviate human suffering.“
(Code of Conduct: The humanitarian imperative comes first)
The Sovereign Order of Malta and its work worldwide has provided help for people in need for over 900 years.
The work of the Order of Malta in Germany, Malteser Hilfsdienst is a modern and competent organisation, which always remains close to the people it serves… because closeness counts. Throughout Germany with 53.000 volunteer and professionally engaged persons at more than 700 locations, the Order of Malta is engaged in the establishment of help for the elderly and hospitals, in first aid training, in civil- and disaster protection, in rescue services, in associated youth work and in the promotion of health with the support of more than 940,000 sponsors.
Malteser International is a non-governmental worldwide relief organisation of the Sovereign Order of Malta for humanitarian aid. The organisation has more than 50 years of experience in humanitarian relief and actually covers around 200 projects in about 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas. Currently, 20 national associations and priories of the Order of Malta are members of Malteser International.
Evolved from Malteser Germany, thus set up in accordance with German Law, and internationalised in 2005, the organisation actually has two operational branches: “Malteser International” (www.malteser-international.org) in Europe (Cologne/Germany) and “Order of Malta Worldwide Relief - Malteser International Americas” (www.maltarelief.org) in the USA (Washington DC). It provides aid in all parts of the world without distinction of religion, race or political conviction. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence are the foundation of its work. Its mission is not only to provide emergency relief, but also to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Malteser International establishes and promotes primary health care services and seeks to reduce vulnerability and poverty. It is committed to ensure high quality standards. Accountability and transparency are priorities of its agenda.
Malteser International’s mission is to:
* provide relief to major emergencies in the world and implement reconstruction and rehabilitation measures with a community focus;
* establish and promote primary health care services and contribute to better health by providing nutrition related programmes;
* contribute to better health and dignified living conditions by providing access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH);
* implement livelihood measures and social programmes to ensure the access of people to income security and reduce their vulnerability and poverty;
* establish and promote disaster preparedness activities, especially on a community level.
Horst Koehler, Patron and former Head of State of Germany; Annalena Baerbock, Foreign Minister & Chairwoman of the Board of Trustees