The "Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)" is a German aid and welfare organisation with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany.
More than 1.3 million members provide a broad social basis for our organisation and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability. ASB’s Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihoods of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable groups. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 100 relief, rehabilitation, development and inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) projects in countries like Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Greece, Haiti, Indonesia, Iraq, Kosovo, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Philippines, Serbia and Ukraine.
ASB started its operations in Haiti immediately after the catastrophic earthquake in January 2010, supporting the affected population through an emergency program, including reconstruction and rehabilitation of destroyed houses in the areas of Petit Goâve and Grand Goâve. Since October 2013, ASB has been implementing a transitional aid project with financial support from the German Government. In the second phase of this project the intervention area was extended from the original municipalities Petit-Goâve and Grand Goâve to Leogane and Fonds des Nègres. It aims at strengthening disaster resilience of the rural population through the establishment of resilience infrastructure, capacity development in the area of disaster-proof building and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) at school and community level and food security. After Hurricane Matthew in 2016, ASB implemented several emergency response projects in communities located in St. Louis du Sud, St. Jean du Sud and Tiburon which have been severely affected by the hurricane. Some interventions, in partnership with the INGO Fonds Catalan, are still going on, focusing on resilient agricultural livelihoods. Today ASB runs a main office in Petit Goâve and a field office in St. Louis du Sud, employing around 45 local and 3 international staff and works with different Haitian and international partner organizations. ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
Country Director Haiti
The Country Director is responsible for the overall leadership and strategic development of the ASB Programme in Haiti. He / She is reporting to and supervised by the Desk Officer Central America and the Caribbean at ASB’s headquarter in Cologne, Germany.
Duration: 12 months (possibility of extension)
Start: May 2019
Location: Petit Goâve, Haiti
Vacancy: International position
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience
Key responsibilities include:
- Programme Management: supervision of Program and Project Managers in the implementation of running projects. Timely development and submission of required project documentation including evaluations, interim and final project reporting.
- Programme/Project Development: ensure ongoing programme and project development through continuous fact-finding, assessment and proposal development in close cooperation with ASB´s headquarter, including fund-raising with donors present in the country.
- Representation: liaison and representation activities with local partners, the INGO community, National and Local Governments, European Union, United Nations, donors, the media and other external stakeholders.
- Financial Oversight: supervision of Financial Managers in controlling all financial expenditures and oversight of financial and administration management systems to ensure compliance with ASB’s as well as donor guidelines, procedures and policies.
- Human Resources Management: monitoring and supervision of all senior staff, including the management of programme and project coordinators.
- Reporting: submission of monthly progress reports, donor reports, end of year reporting and the preparation of an annual report for external publication.
- Internal Communication: regular and close communication with ASB's headquarter in the process of further strategy development in Haiti in line with the strategic objectives of ASB´s Foreign Aid Department.
- Safety and Security: management and coordination activities to ensure the overall safety and security of staff and compliance with security guidelines and procedures.
- Relevant University Degree (degree in humanitarian or development studies an advantage)
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience abroad on senior management level (previous work experience in a Humanitarian Aid, DRR and/or resilience building setting in Haiti an advantage)
- Proficient knowledge and experience in developing and implementing Humanitarian Aid, DRR and resilience programmes
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of project management tools (PCM, Logical Framework, outcome orientated M&E, etc.)
- Strong proposal development skills
- Budget development and budget management experience
- Experience with international donor agencies such as German Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Development and Cooperation, DG ECHO, EuropeAid or others
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience in directing teams)
- Proficient knowledge of finance, administration and logistics
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken in French and English (knowledge of German an advantage)
- Ability to inspire and work in intercultural settings
- MS Office proficiency
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants should send a Letter of Motivation (max. 2 pages) and a CV (max. 2 pages) specifically addressing the above job description and requirements with contacts for 2 recent professional referees to:
Subject line: "Country Director Haiti"
Only electronic applications accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 31.03.2019
© Bündnis deutscher Hilfsorganisationen: Spenden & helfen